Resources From Experienced Landscape Contractors
in Charleston, SC
At Sunshine Lawn Care, LLC, we look forward to the opportunity to work with you on keeping your yard at its best. Check out our frequently asked questions, business practices, and terms below, then send us a text at 843-920-4590 or give us a call at 843-804-9508 to schedule your lawn mowing services, mulching, mosquito control, or fungicide application!
To get started transforming your yard into a functional, beautiful outdoor space
Landscaping Terms & FAQs
If there is a rainy day or other delay, when will my service be done?
We make every attempt to communicate via email and/or phone if service will be delayed due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances. If regular maintenance service must be postponed, we will provide your service on the next possible service day that the weather & schedule allow. Please understand there can be many customers to reschedule, especially if there has been more than one day’s weather delay. So, it will not always be the following day but will be as close to your regular day as possible.
This is to avoid skipping an entire service, in order to keep everyone on schedule, and keep your yard looking great. If it is a one off job that is not part of regular maintenance, or a larger job, it may need to be rescheduled entirely. If this is the case, we’ll make contact to reschedule on the earliest possible mutually acceptable day. PLEASE NOTE: If at your request an entire service cycle is skipped, an additional clean-up pricing and scheduling may apply, as well as a cancellation fee if not cancelled within 24 hours.
How and when will I be invoiced?
For regular maintenance: Invoices are sent via email, generally at the very beginning of the month, for services performed the prior month. If you have not received an invoice by the 5th, feel free to reach out to Pam (contact details below). Invoices are a “Net 15,” meaning they are due 15 days after the date they are sent.
For one-time jobs, such as clean-ups, plant or material installations, etc.: Invoices are generally created upon job completion & sent via email. Sometimes, they will be included with your regular monthly invoice, depending on when the job is completed. These invoices are also a “Net 15,” meaning they are due 15 days after the date they are sent. If you have questions, feel free to reach out.
How can I pay my bill?
There are several ways to pay:
- You can use the green “pay now” button at the bottom of your invoice. This allows you to set up your online customer portal, pay your bill, see your billing history, payments made, etc.
- You can call and pay by credit card over the phone to Pam (contact details below).
- You can write a check to Sunshine Lawn Care, LLC and mail it to 1233 Chuka Ct., Charleston, SC 29412.
- We also have a PayPal option. This is not our preferred method, but, if you do need to use this method, reach out to Pam for more information.
LATE FEES: Any account balances 45 days or older may result in $5.00 per month late fees. Services may be suspended at this point until account is brought current. If collections action is required, any collections costs will be the responsibility of the customer.
What about access to property, including gated or restricted areas?
In order for our crews to complete your service visit on your service day, they must have access to all service areas upon which we’ve agreed. This includes fenced-in backyards, gated or locked areas, pets in the yard, vehicles blocking access areas, and any other restrictions that may prevent them from reaching an agreed service area. If they show up to your home and can’t gain access to the property, one instance will be at no charge and they will come the following week butafter that if they show up and can not gain access to your property you will incur a charge.
Please, do not leave pets unattended in backyard or gated or restricted service areas that crew needs to access. This is a safety issue for the crew, as well as for your pet(s)!
Please note: If crew is unable to access any portion of the agreed service area due to restricted access, we will be unable to service that portion of the property. Time constraints, and provision of the best customer service to all scheduled customers, preclude our ability to provide “return visits” for these issues. So, the inaccessible area will have to wait until the next scheduled visit to be serviced.
What is included in Maintenance?
Maintenance visits are scheduled and priced on a minimum of bi-weekly (every other week) frequency. (Note: Most months, this will be twice a month. However, due to 52 weeks in the year, there will be two months per year that have a third service.)
- Maintenance includes mowing, edging, weed-eating as necessary in lawn areas, and blowing off, plus Weed Control in bed areas (and cracks in pavement) and hedge trimming.
- “We are not responsible for any damage caused by gravel thrown against property while weed-eating, an alternative in those areas would be to spray.
- Hedge trimming is done as-needed, not necessarily every visit, as this is not good for your hedges to be cut too frequently!
- Weed Control in beds includes spraying to kill and prevent weed growth, as well as weed-eating in bed areas. We use a systemic weed killer that sometimes takes up to two weeks to get into the plants’ root system to kill it off – so you may not see instant results!!!
- Turf weed control (treating lawn weeds) is offered as part of our Chemical Program — NOT included in regular maintenance. (*See #8; Chemical Program)
- Due to time constraints, and to provide the best customer service to ALL customers, the crew is not able to provide additional services requested at the time of their visit. Any additional services needed or desired must be handled by contacting the office prior to your service visit, so that we may schedule accordingly.
What is considered a Clean-Up?
Visits that include anything additional to what is quoted in your maintenance service, and/or at a lesser frequency (e.g. once a month service), are considered clean-ups, due to the additional time and labor required. This can include (but not limited to) debris or leaf cleanup, raking out beds, or other larger projects, or just small additional items done at the customer request. Clean-ups are priced separately, usually at a “per man hour” rate, and may need to be scheduled apart from your regular maintenance day.. “Man-hour” means per person, per hour. (E.g. Two workers for one half hour equals one man-hour. Three workers for one hour equals three man-hours.)
How do you deal with cancellations?
Please be mindful that we keep a full schedule, and each customer on our schedule is planned out in advance with our staffing and our resources. If, for any reason, you need to cancel a service, we do require the following notice in order to cancel without a cancellation fee:
* FOR REGULAR MAINTENANCE (single visit): We require a minimum of 48 hour notice in order to cancel a maintenance visit. If cancellations are not made within 48 hours, or if the crew is sent away at your request after they arrive, there will be a cancellation fee of $25.00 for that day’s service.
* FOR REGULAR MAINTENANCE (termination of services): We ask for one week’s notice to terminate service entirely for a property/customer. We do not require contracts, as we want customers to feel free to stop service at any time. The flip side of this is, we do need notice to make any necessary changes to our schedule and personnel placement. If notice is not given at least a week prior to your next service, we will still perform a “final visit” for you at your scheduled time, for the agreed upon price, then complete the cancellation of your services effective immediately following that service.
* FOR ONE-OFF JOBS, such as installs, pine straw/mulch, sod, cleanups, or any other one-time service that is not a regular maintenance visit: A minimum of 3 business days is required to cancel one-off jobs as, in most cases, orders have already been made for materials. If not cancelled with the required notice, a cancellation fee will be calculated based on fees incurred by us in order to cancel any necessary crew, materials and/or machinery. (If we cannot cancel materials delivery, the customer will be responsible for the entire amount of expenses incurred by us to procure the materials and perform the job.)
What is the Chemical Program and what does it include?
The Chemical Program is our service program to provide treatment services to your lawn such as turf weed control, fertilizer, fungicide and insecticide. We base this loosely on the Clemson Agricultural Schedule for applying each of these treatments. However, we realize that each lawn is unique and, as such, has unique needs to keep it at its best.
- Chemical Program treatments are billed on a per-visit basis, so you are only paying for the services you receive, as opposed to an annual or monthly fee.
- These products are available by request as one-time services for customers not on Chemical Program, but the per-visit application cost is higher.
- An example of a typical Chemical Program for the year would look like:
- Pre-emergent – preventive weed killer; four applications, performed quarterly, one per season.
- Post-emergent – weed killer for weeds that still come up despite being pre-emergent (yes, those happen no matter how hard we try to stop them – this is a subtropical climate!!); this is done on an as-needed basis per yard.
- Fungicide – a minimum of 2 applications per year, but often requires more, especially for customers with St. Augustine grass (which will require monthly in most cases) and/or lawns that hold excess moisture.
- Insecticide – at least once, but also done as-needed. This is also how we treat for moles, by killing their food source. When used in that capacity, it is generally around every three months or so.
- Fertilizer – as needed.
Do I need to prepare for service? (i.e. remove outdoor lights and decorations)?
Please be aware that we cannot be responsible for lights and/or decorations that are in bushes, hedges, trees or other areas that are to be serviced. This is mostly an issue around the holidays, but some people have year-round lights or decorations. If we are aware of them, we will avoid that area during our service visits. However, often these things are well-hidden and not readily visible to crew members – especially cords, which can very easily be cut by trimmers. It is the customer’s responsibility to make sure these things are moved prior to our visit on your service day in order to avoid damage.
Please be sure pet waste is disposed of prior to your scheduled service to ensure our team can successfully and safely complete your service.
*If toys or other items are left out, we are not responsible for any damage.
We hope that this information is helpful in answering your basic service and billing-related questions. Please reach out, using our contact form or call us at 843-804-9508 today! We look forward to helping keep your yard beautiful!